Hazel and Henry were about 3 weeks old when they were brought to me. Their mother had been killed in the tornado that hit Tallulah in April. I took them in and bottle fed them until they were old enough to eat on their own. I decided in June that Hazel and Henry were old enough to be released outside. Every evening they would come to the house to be fed. One night, while my husband and I were inside our home, the electricity went off. We went outside to see what had happened and found Hazel and Henry on the ground by the utility pole. We believe the two raccoons had climbed to the top of the pole and were shocked by the transformer. Poor Henry did not survive, but Hazel was still alive. I gently wrapped her in a towel and took her inside to see if she had any injuries. She was burned on her hands, under her neck and on her eyes. I took her to Sullivan Veterinary Clinic, where I work as a veterinary assistant. Dr. Sullivan, Dr. Cruse and Dr. Franklin all worked on Hazel. They were able to clean her wounds and they also gave her some medicine. She gradually began to improve over the next several weeks, and her burns began to heal, but she will be blind for the rest of her life. She lived in my home while recuperating from her burns, and even slept in the bed with us at night. She came to work with me and entertained many of our clients with her ability to find her way around the front office. Recently, we built a pen for her outside around a tree. This is her new home and she is very happy now.
Written by: Brandi Hitt